The 'Magic Number' is the number of points we need to earn from the seven remaining games to guarantee promotion as one of the top three in J2. When I started keeping track of it - in my Okayama Preview with ten games left - the number stood at 22, and its dropped by 12 in the three games since, as we've picked up seven points from our two wins and a draw, and most importantly, Sapporo and Tokushima have dropped points.
Here's a breakdown of how it works out at 10 points, and I'll try and make it as unconfusing as possible (and probably fail):
- FC Tokyo have 64 points;
- 4th-placed Sapporo have 53 (having lost their last three and slipped from 2nd) and if they win all seven games, they'll reach 74 BUT...
- They play 3rd-placed Tokushima (55) on Wednesday;
- A Sapporo win would mean that Tokushima would fall to 4th and could only get to 73;
- Therefore we need 10 points to get out of reach at 74.
- (Our massive advantage in goal difference means 73 points would actually be enough, but again, to be 100% safe I've taken GD out of the equation.)